M. Leprae or Hansen germ is a germ that causes leprosy was discovered by scholars from Norway, GH Armouer Hansen in 1873. The bacteria are rod-shaped acid-fast with the size of 1.8 micron, width from 0.2 to 0.5 micron. Usually there are groups and there are scattered single, living mainly in cells and tissues that cold temperature can not be cultured in artificial media. They can cause systemic infections in animals Armadillo.
Effect of M. Leprae immunity to a person's skin depends bourgeois, the ability of live M. Leprae at a low temperature, long regeneration time, and the nature of the avirulent bacteria and non toxic. M. Leprae (Parasis Obligate intracellular) is mainly found in macrofag cells around blood vessels in the dermis or better Schwann cells of nerve tissue, the bacteria enter the body when the body reacts issued macrofag (derived from blood monocytes, mn cells, histiocytes) for memfagosit.
LL type; happen paralysis macrofag high cellular immune system is not capable of destroying bacteria can divide by tissue damage free. Type TT; phase high cellular immune system can destroy germs macrofag only after germ difagositosis macrofag, epithelial cells that do not happen to move on, and then unite to form the cell dahtian longhans, if not addressed immediately and the reaction is excessive epithelial damage nerves and tissue around .
Classification of Leprosy
According to Ridley and Joplin split classification of leprosy based on clinical, bacteriological, histo pathological, and position the patient immune to:
- TT: Lesions in the form of macular hypo pigmantasi / eutematosa with dry surface and sometimes with skuama on it. Amount is usually a large satudenga varied. Symptoms such as impaired sensasibilitas, direct growth and secretion of the sweat glands. BTA (-) and test lepramin (+) strong.
- BT: macule lesions / infiltrates erythematous with a dry surface bengan number of 1-4 pieces, impaired sensibility (+)
- Lesions of mamakula / erythematous infiltrate somewhat shiny surface. Lesions typical picture of "punched out" with a well defined erythematous infiltrate the inner edge and not so obvious on the outer edge.
- Little sensibility disorders, BTA (+) in smears and tissue scrapings lepromin test (-).
- BL: erythematous lesion infiltrates in large quantities, sizes vary, but bilateral asymmetry, impaired sensibility bit / (-), BTA (+) a lot, lepromin test (-).
- LL: Lesions of erythematous infiltrate with a shiny surface, small size, the number of very large and symmetrical. BTA (+) very much on the scrapings of skin tissue and nasal mucosa, lepromin test (-).
Plants that can be used to treat leprosy, among others:
50 grams of tubers of Dioscorea hispida Dennust, 2 Piper retrofractum Vahl boiled with 150ml water. Taken once a day, repeated for 14 days.